The Brute Stength Program Workouts
Since I've been getting a lot of questions of what I did in my early stages of building my physique I wanted to post a program that I followed to a T. I started this program in March 2005 as this was the date on the magazine so that would put me at 20 years old. I recommend following this program for any beginner wanting to add size and gain strength. I followed this for 4 weeks. I did zero cardio. I'll be posting their diet recommendations later on.
- Day 1 - Push Workout
- Day 2 - REST
- Day 3 - Lower-body Workout
- Day 4 - Push - assist workout *
- Day 5 - Pull Workout
- Day 6 - REST
- Day 7 - REST
*For best results, the "assist" workout session should occur three days after the workout that it assists.
Workout One - Push workout
- Bench presses* 5x10-12
- Incline DB presses - 2x10-12
- Flat DB presses - 2x10-12
- Barbell shoulder presses - 3x10-12
- Upright rows - 3x10-12
- Lying tricep ext - 3x10-12
- Dips - 3x10-12
- Hanging leg raises - 4x12-15
*For month one, use a weight that is apporx 75% of your 1 rep max for the bench press
Workout Two - Lower Body
- Squats* - 5x10-12
- Leg Presses - 3x12-15
- Leg ext - 3x12-15
- Leg Curls - 3x12-15
- Standing Calve raise - 4x15-20
*For month one, use a weight that is approx 75% of your 1 rep max for squats
Workout Three - Pull Workout
- Deadlifts* 5x10-12
- Chins - 2x10-12
- Barbell Rows - 3x10-12
- Pulldowns - 2x10-12
- Barbell Curls - 3x10-12
- Preacher curls - 3x10-12
- Standing Cable Curls - 4x12-15
*For month one, use a weight that is approx 75% of your 1 rep max for deadlifts
Assist workouts - You have two options. First, you can repeat the cycle, starting with your push day. Second, you can train using the exercise (bench press, squat or deadlift) that you feel lags behind the others. That should be a short day; perform only three sets of that exercise, and follow it with three sets of one or two other exercises for muscle groups that assist in that exercise.
7/29/2011 – Cheat Food :)
- 8am - 1/4 cup cream of wheat, 2 scoop whey
- 10am - 6oz chicken, 7oz sweet potato
- 10:45am - workout immediately after 2 scoop xtend, 3.5g cee, 50g karbolyne
- 12:45pm - 12 egg whites, 1/4 cup cream of wheat
- 3pm - plate full of homemade baked ziti & meat balls, 6 double fudge chocolate chip cookies
- 4pm dog walk 30 minutes
- 5:30pm - workout
- 8pm - cheescake factory - 3 hamburger sliders, 3 slices of chicken quesidilla, entree was spicy cashew chicken (couldn't eat it all, ate maybe 1/2), half of one slice of red velvet cheescake
AM Legs/Cardio, PM Calves/ABs/Cardio
Yesterday I had another great leg workout. I said a couple of weeks ago that I wanted to train legs twice a week but I just don't think that's going to happen because the way I've been hitting them they stay sore for a good 2-3 days after but they are still tender for an additional 1-2 days before I feel I can hit them again.
- Lying leg curl - 2 warm up sets to 20, 3x12
- One leg leg press (charles glass style laying sideways) - 4x15
- squats (hip width food stance) - 1 warm up - 4x10-12 one drop set to 10 on the last set
- leg press - 3x20 (10 reps hip width stance then 10 reps wide stance)
- leg ext superset db stiff leg deadlifts - 3x15
- elliptical 20 minutes low intensity
Later on in the afternoon around 4pm took the dogs for a 30 minute walk. Shortly after that went back to the gym and hit some calves abs and more cardio.
- leg press calve - 6x12
- TRI-SET - ab cambered bar roll outs, bench leg raises, rope crunches - 3x12-15
- stair climber - 30 minutes low intensity
- 5:30am - 1/4 cup cream of wheat, 2 scoop whey
- 9:15am - 6oz chicken, 6 asparagus, 8oz sweet potato
- 10am - WORKOUT immediately after 2 scoop xtend, 3.5g cee, 50g karbolyne
- 12:30pm - 12 egg whites, 8 oz sweet potato, 2 tbsp salsa
- 3:15pm - 8oz cod, 6 asparagus, 2 tbsp salsa
- 6pm - 6oz chicken, 6 asparagus
- 9pm - 8oz cod, 6 asparagus, 2 tbsp salsa, 1/2 tbsp macadamia nut oil
The salsa I've been using is Rojo's Pico De Gallo All Natural Salsa..I picked a big thing of it up at costco the other day..2 tbsp only has 1g of sugar...good stuff..also to season my foods I've been using some black pepper, chopped chives, and basil. For my sweet potatoes I ran out of ground cinnamon so I used paprika and it was a great switch up..brought a whole new flavor
- seated smith machine overhead press - 2 warm ups, 3x10,8,6, one drop set on last set for 10
- upright row - 3x12
- standing db laterals - 3x12 one drop set on last set to 10
- standing behind the neck barbell presses superset seated lateral raise machine - 3x12
- barbell shrugs superset bent over db laterals - 3x12
- TRI-SET - barbell shrugs, seated db lateral front raise, standing one arm db lateral raise - 3x12
- seated calve raise superset seated reverse wrist curls - 4x12-15
- elliptical 20 minutes low intensity
I will be doing 40 minutes of cardio later on along with some abs.
- 6:30am - 1/4 cup cream of wheat, 2 scoop whey
- 10:30am - 6oz chicken, 10 almonds
- 1:15pm - 12 egg whites, 1/4 cup cream of wheat
- 4:20pm - 8oz cod, 1/2 tbsp macadamia nut oil
- 7:15pm - 8oz orange roughy, 2 tbsp salsa, 6 asparagus
- 9:45pm - 6oz chicken, 6 asparagus, 2 tbsp salsa
I only did cardio and it was after meal 5 at 8pm and I did 40 minutes low intensity on the stepmill.
I want to clear up something that I keep reading on my shout box. When I say I don't care about the number of weight I'm lifting that doesn't mean I don't push myself and lift heavy. You can not build a physique by not pushing yourself to the absolute max. I believe you can also not build a physique by getting the muscle full of blood every workout. That being said this is "bodybuilding" or "physique building" whichever you would like to call it. If your goal is to put lean mass on you need to be sticking with the 8-12 or even up to 15 reps on some lifts in order to "build muscle" if your goal is power and strength then your rep range will be anywhere from 1-6. The difference in training for power and training to build your physique is that in the 1-6 range your trying to move the weight from point a to point b by any means. With training to build muscle mass your still moving the weight from point a to b but your moving it by using the exact muscle your targeting that day. On an ending note you have to do what works best for you. The formula that I do for myself has been producing me results and I don't see why it can't for you. I'll be putting out new videos very soon so you can see the intensity and weights that I'm using.
- 6:30am - 1/4 cup cream of wheat, 2 scoop whey
- 9:30am - 6oz chicken, 6 asparagus
- 1pm - 12 egg whites, 6 asparagus, 10 almonds
- 3:10pm - 6oz orange roughy, 6 asparagus
- WORKOUT - immediately after 50g karbolyne,2 scoop xtend
- 6pm - 6oz chicken, 6 asparagus, 8oz sweet potato
- 9pm - 6oz cod, 6 asparagus, 1/2 tbsp macadamia nut oil
Finally feeling almost back to normal. Traveling and not getting much sleep in VA really drained me. I had a couple of clients this am and when I got back home I passed out for 2hrs. Woke up feeling like myself again. I think by tomorrow I should be 100 percent. Today I had an awesome back workout. Got an extremely good pump.
- standing one arm hammer strength row - 4x10-12 (this machine is meant to sit down but i tried it out standing..felt great) one drop set on last set i sat down for did both arms
- reverse grip barbell rows - 4x10 one drop set on last set
- hammer strength pull down wide grip machine - 3x10
- seated one arm hammer row (different machine then first exercise..hitting at a different angle) - 3x10
- reverse grip cambered bar pulldowns - 3x12-15 one drop set on last set
- hyper ext - 3x20
- stepmill - 20 min low intensity step rate 50
Here is a picture of my friends and I in VA this past Friday night.
After a 7 hour road trip (and going through 4 storms) back to Nashville yesterday I was still feeling lethargic today. I woke up at 7:30 and went to the gym to do 30 minutes on the stair climber at level 4.5. After that I had 2 clients to train then I got to come home and I passed out for 3 hours. When I got up I felt a lot better and was ready to hit some chest!
- Flat barbell press - 2 warm ups, 3x10,8,6 one drop set for 20 on the last set
- flat db fly - 4x12,12,10,10 one drop set on last set for 15
- incline barbell press - 3x12
- TRI-SET - db pullovers,standing one arm db fly, pec dec - 3x12-15
- rope crunches superset hanging leg raises - 3x15-20
- elliptical 20 minutes level 8
A few dietary changes for this week is that I'll be incorporating a lot more fish starting tomorrow. I had some chicken that I made yesterday before I left so I had that all day today. I just got home from the grocery and picked up some orange roughy and cod. I'm cutting out red meat this week and still sticking with the cream of wheat instead of oats for now. This is how I self educated myself and learned how to build my physique. This is from my parents house I brought back all of my old Muscular Developments (my favorite mag) so I could have new reading material every day along with my encyclopedia of bodybuilding.
VA Trip – Day 4
Saturday's Leg workout I took myself to a new level of mental toughness. I trained with Ben and like I said in my previous post he's strong as hell! We started off with a 5 minute warm up on the bike and discussed what we wanted to do. Squats was our decision for the first exercise. Ben's heaviest set was 455lb which I think he got for 8-10. My heaviest set was 315lb..this was the first time I squatted that much in a while. I did it for 2 sets. First set I got 4 and second set only 2 then followed it by 2 drop sets. 225 for 10 then 135 for 20. Next exercise was Leg press and on the last set I did 600 for 12 followed by a drop set of 400 for 20. At that point when I stood up everything started to get black and I almost passed out and my heart was pounding out of my chest. Throughout our whole workout we pushed each other and was giving each other mental reminders of the hard work that had gotten us to the point where we were at. Ben said to me train insane or remain the same. Needless to say my legs are still sore today as I'm writing this it's Monday now. Training legs with him was definitely a reminder of the days when we trained together and the constant intensity we kept.
- bike warm up 5 minutes
- squats - 2 warm ups, 3x10-2 2 drop sets on last set
- leg press- 3x12 one drop set on last set
- smith machine squat - close foot stance - 4x12
- leg ext superset lying leg curl - 3x12-15
- leg press machine calve raise - 4x15
After that workout I was in a daze for the rest of the day and it was hard for me to even eat afterward. Later on once I got my appetite back my family had a bbq at the house and I had some chicken, squash and some ribs. Overall this VA trip was very refreshing and much needed for me. I want to thank everyone that voted for me on the Men's Health Fittest friends contest on facebook. Yesterday was the last day of voting and I needed to be in the top 10 which I finished at 10th place. Now it's up to Men's Health as to who they choose. I'll keep everyone posted when I know more.