Tyler, I am 6"4 195 at 11% (caliper tested). If my main goal is to be 205 or 210 at 7-8% body fat would you recommend to keep doing a clean bulk until i hit 210 to 215 pounds and then incorporate a carb cycle or should I be doing a carb cycle all the time? thanks for your help
- 26 August 2011
- Tyler - Try for a 4 week period of keeping carbohyrdates in every meal except your last one of the day. If you can keep your body fat around 10-12% the whole time then I say keep them in there until you hit your goal weight. Another option would be to just carb cycle all the time and keep your body fat dropping. do high intensity cardio for short periods to burn fat and train straight sets with 6-10 reps to help put on mass.
Tyler, how can sleep affect you physical appearance in terms of muscle? Can not sleeping enough make you look soft or bloated after a few days of under sleeping? (say, 5-6 hours),
- 26 August 2011
- Tyler - I've never heard that lack of sleep causes water retention. It's most likely something that you are eating that is causing that. In order to maximize your potential of your physique you need to be getting your rest though. 7-8hrs a night is optimal.
Tyler, do you ever have days when your feel a bit more bloated, or look like your showing less definition in the mirror, or feel like you look like you gained fat around your hips... but then a few days later you look back to normal? Do you know why that would happen? Does it have to do with Diet? Ive been carb cycling and everytime about a day before my carb up, my body starts to feel that way. Was wondering if you could enlighten me. Thanks!
- 26 August 2011
- Tyler - That's strange because once I got to the end of your question I was thinking you were going to say you looked bloated the day after your carb up. Maybe that what you meant? Carbohydrates can tend to make people bloat and retain water. I consider myself carb sensitive and if I have to many I can see my definition getting blurry and soft looking. When I go very low carb I lose all the water retention and have a harder dryer look. On the flip side I feel great when I have lots of carbs and feel like total shit when I look my best.
what is ur opinion of chicken with the skin on, roast chicken? tastes way better than just skinless chicken breasts, but it has skin and salt....
- 26 August 2011
- Tyler - The skin of the chicken has high fat content. Don't eat it.
I am slightly overweight. Do you recommend a lot of cardio to remove the fat or weightlifting to turn the fat into muscle? Thank you for any tips.
- 24 August 2011
- Tyler - I recommend doing both. Weight train a minimum of 5 days a week if you can and incorporate cardio 5-6 days a week. Keep your body guessing when it comes to cardio. Do a different piece each time you hit the gym and I suggest doing high intensity intervals.
What is the best way to determine my portion sizes? For instance, my ON Whey Protein says take one scoop? One scoop for who though? Pounds and height? Shouldn't it be a little different for everyone?
- 24 August 2011
- Tyler - It for sure is different for everyone. As a rule of thumb I tell anyone who is trying to build lean mass. 1.5g of protein per bodypound. Play with your carbohyrdates and fats amounts. You will have to get scale and weigh your food out so you will know that you are hitting your nutrition requirements every day. Email me [email protected] I can set you up on a meal plan based on your weight and height and current bodyfat. If interested shoot me a email and I'll we can discuss my rate.
Tyler, you've got an amazing chest and I was wondering if you can show us your workout routine to achieve it, thanks.
- 23 August 2011
- Tyler - Monday I'll be filming my chest workout.
Also, what kind of tempo do you use when lifting, generally. And what kind of rest times between sets, for both Major muscle groups and smaller ones. Thanks!
- 23 August 2011
- Tyler - I'm not sure what tempo I use. It's not extremely fast and not extremely slow not unless I throw some negatives in at the end of a set. I get into a rhythm and picture in my mind that I'm pumping my muscle full of blood. Squeezing the contraction and still controlling the weight on the negative. 45 seconds to 1 minute on smaller groups and 2-4 minutes on larger groups depending on lift. Squats, Deadlifts, leg press i take as much time as i need.
Tyler, when you say 4 sets of 8-10 reps, is each rep taken to failure? Or do you leave "1 in the gun" up until your last set, if that?
- 23 August 2011
- Tyler - each working set is taken to failure and when I train with a partner I get forced reps as well.
How is the myofusion protein? I looked at the nutirtional info and it seemed to be pretty hight in fat. I am a college student so i have a pretty busy schedule so protein shakes are a big part of my diet. I usually take around 2-3 a day. I currently am using the 100% whey by optimum. Pretty clean protein overall. I am looking to switch it up and see how u were liking the gispari protein.
- Tyler - The myofusion tastes great! my favorite protein blend by far. However if you are concerned about the fat content gaspari does make a basic whey that I'm sure taste great too.
- 7:30am - 2 scoop protein, 1/2 cup oats
- 10:30am - 6oz chicken, 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1:15pm - 8oz tilapia, 6 asparagus
- 2:30pm - 2 chocolate protein squares - recipe here
- 3:30pm - 6oz chicken, 1 cup broccoli
- 5:15pm - 2 scoop whey
- 8:30pm - 8oz chicken, 6 asparagus
- 9:45pm - 2 scoop protein
Just cardio today…
My day got kicked off with 30 minutes of low intensity cardio on the stair climber on level 4.0. Shortly after Ron came over to the house and ran around with me for a couple of errands I had to get done. One being getting my car washed again(Just did it on Saturday) because last night I apparently pissed some birds off because there were about 10 different spots where they had shit all over the place lol. Later on I went back to the gym and did 30 minutes of stepmill. The first 15 minutes was low intensity on level 55 then the second 15 minutes was all intervals. 3 minutes level 90 followed by 2 minutes recovery on 50. Tomorrow is shoulder day and I've got a good one lined up for us. Here is the most recent picture of my sister and the new born Leah along with my nephew Dylan. I can't wait to see them over labor day weekend as I'll be going up to VA for a long weekend!
8/22 & 8/23 Nutrition
- 6:30am - 1/2 cup oats, 2 scoop protein
- 8:30am - 6oz chicken, 1 cup broccoli
- 11am - 6oz chicken, 6oz sweet potato
- 11:45am - WORKOUT
- 1:30pm - 12 egg whites, 3/4 cup brown rice
- 3:30pm - 8oz tilapia, 6 asparagus
- 4:45pm - 2 scoop protein
- 7pm - 6oz 99% lean ground turkey, 6 asparagus
- 9pm - 6oz chicken
- 6am - 1/2 cup oats, 2 scoop protein
- 8:30am - 6oz 99% lean ground turkey, 6 asparagus
- 11:15am - 8oz chicken, 6oz sweet potato
- 12pm - WORKOUT
- 1:45pm - 12 egg whites, 3/4 cup brown rice
- 3:20pm - 6oz chicken, 1 cup broccoli
- 5:30pm - 2 scoop protein
- 7:30pm - 6oz chicken
- 10pm - 6oz chicken, 1 cup broccoli
Today it has been difficult to move around after yesterdays intense back workout. Ron joined again along with NPC competitor Will Rudolf. He just recently won his class at a show in Knoxville and placed 2nd at his most recent showing at the NPC TN States. After taking last week off from no deadlifts because I had tweaked my back on that first set of pullups we kicked the workout off with them. I went more for reps today instead of doing singles.
- deadlifts - 135lb - 12, 225lb - 10, 315lb 10, 405lb - 10, 405lb - 10, 315lb - 20
- reverse grip pulldowns - 4x10-12
- overhand barbell row - 4x10
- standing wide grip pulldowns - 4x12 superset standing calve raise - 4x12
- seated cable row + leg press calve machine + standing high rope row - 3x12-20
later on at about 7:30pm I went back to the gym to do my cardio. When I first got there all the stepmills were taken so I started on the stair climber for 11 minutes doing 2 minutes high 1 minute low until a stepmill was free. Then I did 20 minutes on the stepmill and I did 2-5 minutes of high followed by 1 minute recovery. I wanted to push myself on the high intensity to see how far out of shape I'd gotten since I used to do high all the time. I was pleasantly surprised that my heart and lung condition were still pretty good.
Ron offered yesterday that he will start filming our workouts so now I won't have to wait till the weekends and train muscle groups when they are not fully recovered. I planned on filming chest this Friday or Saturday but I'm waiting till Monday since that's when I would normally hit it again. I'll also be filming descriptive videos since I've been getting questions on how to execute particular exercises.
Chicken Salad (Buffalo Style)
Another one of Mark Dugdale's recipes that I love is this chicken salad. This picture doesn't do it justice to how it tastes if your a chicken salad fan. I ate this all weekend since I didn't workout and was only doing 30g of carbs this mixture you can make high fat or low. Also how I measured it out was I cooked enough frozen chicken tenderloins to weigh out to five 6oz (cooked weight) meals before I mixed everything up. Once I mixed everything up I distributed equally in plastic containers.
- chicken tenderloins or chicken breast
- seasoning (i use salt free greek all purpose)
- heritage fare buffalo sauce
- 1 packet of shredded lettus
- 1/2 packet cole slaw mix
- 1.5 cups of Fage greek yogurt (fat free) *make sure to get the fage i used a different namebrand on sunday and it wasn''t as thick and was more watery which made the mixture watery.
- chopped walnuts
- 2-5 tbsp of macadamia nut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- boil frozen chicken for 30-35 minutes
- let cool off then weigh out how many meals it will make once it's cooled off break up into shredded pieces in a large bowl
- add seasoning to liking, add lettus and cole slaw, add chopped walnuts (i use about a half cup)
- add yogurt
- you can skip out on the oil as when i made my final mixture on sunday i used no oil but the first two batches i did. first one i used extra virgin and second i used macadamia nut oil...my favorite was mac oil but i wanted to lower my fat content back down on sunday.
- mix all together and distribute evenly in plastic containers and refrigerate
- once your ready to eat pour some of the heritage fare buffalo sauce (or other zero sugar condiments to add flavor) and mix up and enjoy. I also tried the zero cal bbq sauce on it and i didn't like it. I tried some dijon mustard and didn't like that either.
My training partner Ron and I have linked up the past couple of workouts and it's been great having the extra push from someone especially on chest day. We implemented forced reps,partials,negatives all in today's workout. After taking Saturday and Sunday off to rest and recover I felt like a totally different person in the gym today. I was dragging ass by the end of the week last week so the 2 days off of doing nothing did the trick.
- Incline DB Press - 2 warm up sets - 4x8-10
- Flat Hammer press - 4x10
- Incline DB Fly - 4x12
- Flat bench cable fly - 3x12
- fst-7 - 2 sets of dips (we planned on doing the full 7 sets of dips but by that point of the workout I couldn't move my own bodyweight so we did 5 sets of push ups)
- seated cable crunches superset decline bench sit ups - 3x15 and 3x20
- elliptical level 5 - 30 minutes
What is the difference between buck wheat and whole wheat?
- 21 August 2011
- Tyler - "Don’t let the word ‘wheat’ in it’s name confuse you. Buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculentum) looks like a grain and tastes like a grain but isn't a grain at all. Buckwheat is thought of as a cereal, but is actually an herb of the buckwheat family, Polygonaceae, a relative of the rhubarb. Buckwheat is also gluten free, which makes it an ideal food for those allergic or sensitive to the gluten in found wheat and other true grains. After being removed from the husk, the triangular seeds are used to make flour."
- The reason I picked it over the whole wheat was because it had zero sugar compared to the whole wheat pancake mix had a few grams of sugar. It wasn't until I researched that I learned what it was.
Hey Tyler, what are the diet recommendations for "The Brute Strength Program Workouts" that you posted in articles on July 30th?
- 21 August 2011
- Tyler - Thanks for reminding me I'll make a post on the full detailed diet Flex Magazine prescribed.
Tyler, Your so "sea food" diet, ha, how long would you be in that phase for? A couple days? You would just eat anything and everything? Thanks man.
- 21 August 2011
- Tyler - LMAO! yea i've had short stints of the sea food diet. They usually last a few days..especially around Thanksgiving and X-Mass. I don't ever over stuff myself though to where I'm sick feeling like I did when I battled with an eating disorder. That feeling is so uncomfortable and you feel horrible afterward too. But definitely enjoy some good..life is too short not to enjoy some delicious tasting food.
Probably a tough question, but u think you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time? I was thinking of doing a lot of cardio with weights to accomplish this and doing a clean bulk.
- 20 August 2011
- Tyler - I do think it's possible but doing a clean bulk your most likely going to gain a little bit of body fat. As long as you stay lean enough to see your abs through your whole bulk you won't have a problem shedding the fat back off once you restrict yourself again
How many calories do you consume everyday? If I want to have a physique similar to yours and am around 5 foot 7 or 8, how many callories should I eat everyday?
- Tyler - I do not know how many calories I consume because I don't count them. I have no idea how many cals you should eat daily you didn't post your weight,age,body fat level etc. What I can tell you though is consume 1.5g per body pound of lean protein sources and your going to have to experiment with how much carbs and fats your body needs.
- 20 August 2011
Ty, what is your opinion to train the muscle one or two times a week???, or for example two muscle in one day, or one muscle per day??? sorry for my english, i'm argentinian
- 20 August 2011
- Tyler - I think that the larger muscle groups, back,legs,chest should be trained once a week but groups like abs,calves,forearms, can be trained several times a week. Muscle groups as shoulders,biceps and triceps can be trained twice a week.
Tyler, have you ever heard of carb backloading? If so what are your thoughts on this concept. If not google it and tell me what you think
- 19 August 2011
- Tyler - I've never heard of it until I researched it. Honestly I couldn't make it past the first paragraph because the site I was on made it seem way to scientific. I'm a firm believer in keeping things basic. Do what you know works and stick with it.
Hello Tyler, its said that taking the sun 30 minutes a day improves the testosterone levels 50-60%. What is your opinioin?.
- Tyler - I do believe it's great for you mind and body to get sun however I really don't know if it increases your test levels by that much. Also if you plan on staying out in the sun for an extended period of time I suggest using a strong sun block..gotta protect that skin.
- 2/3 cup Organic Buckwheat pancake mix
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- sugar free syrup (i use hungry jack)
- Pre heat skillet on med/hi
- mix all ingredients into a bowl until it's smooth and no clumps
- pour into skillet and flip once when its set up enough
you can also add other ingredients to the mix.. blueberries,chopped nuts etc. This batch makes about 4 pancakes.
Arms/Ab/Cardio & Food Log
If you have the opportunity and are getting burnt out at training every workout at your normal gym switch it up and go to a different one for a couple days. I sometimes go to random gyms and they will usually give you a couple day pass to try them out. Since I've been going out to the Greenhills Y I've been getting some great workouts even though I'm slowly lowering my carbs. I can definitely feel a difference in my energy by the end week. This upcoming week I plan to drop my carbs just a bit more. I'm taking today off to rest and recover and get right back at it tomorrow.
- cambered bar preacher curls superset one arm overhead db ext - 4x12-15
- incline db curls superset rope cable pressdowns - 3x10-12
- one arm bicep curl machine superset seated dip machine - 3x10-15
- standing straight bar curl superset skull crushers - 3x10-12
- reverse cambered bar curls - 3x20
- step mill level 5 - 30 minutes
8/19/2011 Food log
- 6am- 2 scoop whey, 1/2 cup oats
- 8:20am 6oz roast beef, pepper/onion medley
- 10:40am - 6oz chicken, 1 cup brown rice
- 11:15am - WORKOUT after 2 scoop xtend, 2.5g cee
- 2pm - 12 egg whites, 1/4 grips, 2 slices of fat free cheese
- 4pm - 6oz chicken salad
- 6pm - 6oz chicken salad
- 8:15pm - 6oz chicken, pepper/onion medley
Another change is I'll be cycling off all supplements since I've been taking supplements now for a good 3 months now I'm going to take 4-6 weeks from nothing except whey
This is a picture taken 12/22/2010. It was for my agency in NYC to show what my current condition was at the time. This is the condition I'm on my way to getting back down to but with maintaining my new size. I weighed 198lb here. Hopefully I can maintain and stay around 210 but like I said with this condition. The biggest difference in this process is at the time I was doing all high intensity cardio and lighter weights. Lot of supersets,drop sets,tri sets, giant sets. I also was into boxing and jump roping running etc. You can put dates around those times in the search function in the top right corner if you would like to see my workouts I was doing then. Now I lift A LOT heavier and do mostly low intensity cardio.